Follow @sfitzyfly Tweet Follow @sfitzyfly Creative Daily Scribe

Tuesday 15 May 2012

Thunderstorm.


It started as a rumble. The lights flickered on and off. Rocky woke from his slumber beside the fire and growled at nothing, or so I thought. I continued to eat my dinner for one with the only other noise in the room being that of the clock ticking by. Then as if a heavy articulated truck went by the house, the ground shook. Rocky growled once more. The clock chimed as the hour struck. The tree started to sway in the front garden as the wind picked up.
The story of how my grandmother explained how God sends us thunderstorms somehow clicked in my mind. "He's just rolling oil barrels across the sky," she'd say. She could never explain the lightening though. 
The lights dimmed this time for approximately two seconds, and then the rumble sounded like it was just overhead. The rain started to fall, lightly at first. I paid no heed and hungrily ate. 
Then the rain started pelting off the window beside me. The sky changed to a blue-grey colour. The last thing I remember was pushing the soggy broccoli around my plate before the golf ball sized hailstones burst through the window and glass lacerated my cheekbone. I struggled to move away before the real disaster struck. 
I woke up in A&E with a broken arm, cuts to my face and neck. Rocky escaped without any injuries, thank God. But my home was ruined. As I moved away from the front window from the hailstones, the tree was struck by lightening and had crashed through the front of the house. It missed me by inches.

No comments: