Follow @sfitzyfly Tweet Follow @sfitzyfly Creative Daily Scribe

Friday 15 March 2013

A Feeling.

Madge couldn't believe her eyes. A former colleague was her new boss. The last time they had seen each other was a brief snog in the handicapped toilet - six years ago at the office Christmas party.

Her former equal had moved up the corporate ladder - Madge career hadn't. They were both on the same pay grade when they messed around. Now her new boss mingled with her co-workers, shaking hands and slapping backs.

The new boss proceeded on the rounds of the entire office, saying hello to everyone. Madge knew that her insignificant logistics corner would be last on the tour. It was a simple shake of the hand and "Nice to see you."

There seemed to be little realisation of their fumble in the dark, and if there was, her boss hid it well. However, something unexpected happened. As they shook hands, a shiver went down Madge's 39-year-old spine. Like an electric current.

As Madge stumbled back into her seat, nearly missing the chair, her boss looked back with concern.

"Are you okay?"

The simple question and mild embarrassment at her own awkwardness, could only muster a grunt in reply from Madge. Her boss looked on with soft eyes, pausing as if for effect.

"It's good to see your familiar face once again Madge."

Madge considered herself unlucky in love. She nearly got married nine years ago, but called it off at the last miinute. Something just didn't feel right.

For the rest of the day, Madge found herself staring off into space. She was always focused and achieved results, but the new boss's arrival had thrown her. During a moment of escapism, her stare wandered over to her new bosses' glass panelled office.

As Madge stared, the tiny blonde hairs on her arm stood to attention. Her palms became sweaty. She found herself biting the side of her bottom lip. The slam of a metal filing cabinet snapped her out of her daydream.

As 6pm neared, Madge got up to use the toilet before quitting time. Most of the office had already filtered home. As she sauntered down the hallway, her new bosses' door swung wide open. The new boss beckoned Madge inside. Madge straightened her skirt before entering.

"Close the door over Madge, would you? Thanks a million."

"Sure. What's up?"

"Take a seat. There's no need to be standing. Sure we're old friends. How long has it been? Five? Six years?"

"There or thereabouts. What did you want to see me about?"

"You really haven't changed one bit. I'm delighted to see you still with the company."

"Well, it does pay the bills!"

"Yes it certainly does. What I mean is, I'm glad to see you still here. We didn't part on the best of terms last time around. Let me make up for that last occasion."

"Oh! You don't waste time."

"Please don't take this the wrong way - I'm not trying to make you feel awkward here in any way. I just want to clear the air between us and eh, move on."

"Oh, okay. I would like that too."

"Good, good."

"But it is good to see a former cellmate doing well."

"Former cellmate - that's funny! Em, I'm nearly finished up here - are you?"

"Well I was just on my way to the bathroom before I head home to eat my dinner for one."

"You don't fancy a drink, do you? I've had one long day and would love to catch up with what's going on here."

"Yeah I suppose I could. But I don't know how to address you exactly. Is it boss or what do I call you?"

"It's Olive to you."

No comments: